In the modern world, running a small business means embracing everything the digital landscape has to offer. Consumers are mostly always online, meaning that as an entrepreneur, you need to ensure that your business enjoys a steady online presence. However, building a good online presence is easier said than done. There are a number of online store providers available and it can be hard to decide what is the best ecommerce platform for your business.
Fortunately, there are platforms specifically designed to help you gain valuable leads. These platforms allow you to build an independent website, but they’ll help you gain a pool of potential followers already loyal to their customer base.
To help you get started, here are the three most popular eCommerce platforms, complete with reasons you should and should not consider them:
1 – Shopify
Shopify is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms, home to businesses of all sizes. Most small businesses choose Shopify as their website builder, mainly because of their user-friendly interface. You don’t have to worry about not having the right technical skills, as creating your store does not require you to use codes. Themes are customisable, however, some coding may be required.
- Offers all the features you need to run your ecommerce store
- Offers a detailed inventory system to help you better understand and manage your shop
- Connects with other social platforms, including Facebook and Instagram
- No need to worry about technical aspects such as hosting, security and payment gateway configurations.
- Themes can be limited and editing them requires custom coding
- Additional plugins from Shopify App Store usually cost which can add up to your total monthly spend
2 – Squarespace
If you’re looking for a platform that focuses on minimalism and simplicity, Squarespace is the best platform for you. Small businesses can build their websites without a hitch, as themes can be customisable and easy to control. Users also have access to an inventory management system, making it easier to control business operations. There are also extra features such as coupons, email lists, and even shipping settings.
- Create stunning websites without knowing web design with beautiful templates that are responsible in all devices, including mobile and tablets devices
- Create blog posts and other pages no matter where you are
- Stunning though the features may be, Squarespace can be tricky to use at the beginning. You need to invest time and effort to get things done, especially since everything should be done manually.
- Templates can often rely on beautiful photography. If you don’t have high-quality photos of your business and products, your website won’t look good.
3 – WooCommerce
WooCommerce is another popular platform, as creating websites can be easy for any eCommerce business. You’ll be able to create a fully customised website, topped with an open-source eCommerce plugin that allows you extra functionality. This is good for business with already existing WordPress sites.
- Offers limitless opportunities for customisation through WordPress themes
- Great for SEO
- Woocommerce is free. Only expense you will have is your web hosting.
- WooCommerce is not for beginners. You will need to use some codes, meaning that it’s best for small businesses with knowledge and experience in eCommerce platforms.
Work With A Freelance Digital Marketing Consultant In Melbourne
The platforms listed above are one of the most popular platforms small businesses and eCommerce entrepreneurs can use, and each come with respective pros and cons that need to be studied carefully. You will need to take a look into your business plan and goals, and understand how each can help you achieve leads and revenue before deciding.
At SKCreative, we focus on digital marketing and web design to help you choose the best eCommerce platform for your business. If you are looking for digital marketing consultants and website designers in Melbourne – reach out for a free consultation to learn more.